• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army cadets raid Annapolis, steal the wrong goat from Navy

Army cadets raid Annapolis, steal the wrong goat from Navy

By Claire Barrett
    Nov 24, 11:26 AM
    Army cadets fumbled their mission when they stole the wrong goat. (Tyler Caswel/USNA via AP)The recent cold snap along the East Coast can mean only one thing: The Army-Navy football game is afoot, and with that, the time-honored tradition of stealing the schools’ mascots, a mule and goat, respectively.

The Naval Academy adopted the goat as its mascot in 1904 and all goats have since been lovingly dubbed Bill. West Point officially made the mule its mascot in 1899 without bestowing a name.

The deeply ingrained tradition of thievery has been occurring for nearly 70 years, and despite being banned in 1992 after Navy midshipmen were a little overzealous in their attempt — cutting phone lines and zip-tying six Army employees while stealing West Point’s mules — the observance of the annual heist has continued unabated, albeit unsanctioned.

The first cadet theft of Bill occurred in 1953 and involved a convertible and chloroform. Since then, 10 successful (more PETA friendly) Army-conducted raids have occurred.

This year, however, the cadets fumbled their mission. Hard.

According to a joint statement released by the Army and Navy in response to questions from The New York Times, the West Point raiders attempted to sneak up on Bill No. 37 as he dozed peacefully in a pasture with several other retired Bills.

“The noisy assault team spooked the goats into a run, though, and when the fumbling cadets gave chase, they managed to grab only one goat — and not the right one. After a four-hour drive back to West Point, they unveiled not Bill No. 37 but Bill No. 35, an arthritic, 14-year-old retiree with only one horn.”

Bill No. 35 was unharmed and safely returned on Monday by some rather sheepish Army officers.

This year’s game will be the 122nd meeting between the two. Kick-off is set for 3 p.m. EST on CBS. If any gaffe ever deserved a “Go Navy, beat Army,” it’s this.

This story originally appeared on HistoryNet.
    ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL. THEN GOD CREATED DESTROYER SAILORS.

The old goat with arthritis and one horn is a more apt mascot for the Navy
    Alas, they were Democrats, so they cheated.

Comment

Originally posted by PJ807 View Post
      The old goat with arthritis and one horn is a more apt mascot for the Navy
      That's cause old bill broke off that horn up Army's azz.

Comment

Go Army. Bwahahahaha
        WE ARE SO AFRAID OF LOSING ANYTHING THAT WE HAVE ALLOWED OURSELVES TO LOSE EVERYTHING.

Comment

C'mon it was a goat, same shit. "GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!"

Hooah!
          "I may not be Donald Trump now, but just you wait; if I don't make it, my children will." Barack Hussein Obama, 2004

Comment

Which is better-A Navy Goat or an Army Donkey or Ass?

Comment

Originally posted by HAPD View Post
              Which is better-A Navy Goat or an Army Donkey or Ass?
              Well neither one makes a good ribeye, so it really doesnt matter.

Comment

I remember a family member telling me a story from when he was at West Point in the 90’s.
                The First Captain of the Midshipman’s class ( a attractive female ) contacted the West Point First Captain about the craziness before the Army/Navy game and wanted to meet to help cool things down.
                Of course the male West Pointer agreed to the meeting outside West Point at the local Italian restaurant. Probably thinking he was going to hook up…. The guy gets kidnapped, tied up and transported to Annapolis for a parade with him leading it tied to a float.
                After that they didn’t even try to respond because they were so humiliated.

Comment

Originally posted by Lcpl Hicks View Post
                  I remember a family member telling me a story from when he was at West Point in the 90’s.
                  The First Captain of the Midshipman’s class ( a attractive female ) contacted the West Point First Captain about the craziness before the Army/Navy game and wanted to meet to help cool things down.
                  Of course the male West Pointer agreed to the meeting outside West Point at the local Italian restaurant. Probably thinking he was going to hook up…. The guy gets kidnapped, tied up and transported to Annapolis for a parade with him leading it tied to a float.
                  Long drive while tied up from West Point to Annapolis. Cool. Obviously, the West Pointer was a supply type.

Comment

Originally posted by DeOppLib View Post
                    C'mon it was a goat, same shit. "GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!"

Hooah!
                    GO Army!

BlackKnightsLivesMatter

"Medicine is based on your own individual history and ultimately on your choice." Dr. Rand Paul

Comment

Just imagine if the Chair Force was involved?

Comment

Reminds me of my goat story. I was TDY at a INTEL listening post up near the Black Sea, I wont say where, a real shithole.

For amusement the Old man let us have a bunch of belly dancer's come in for entertainment. The place was a shithole but had a grand tavern, being back in the '70s even the 18yo's could drink until they dropped. So we consumed copious amounts of whiskey, vodka, beer....ect as the belly dancers did their thing, "actually we were drunk even before they showed up". So after the show a lot of us wanted to fuck the dancers but there was a long line as troops haggled over going rates for suckee/fuckee or one or the other. Business is business.

Well we didn't want to wait in line so a bunch of us ordered new drinks and went to the fenced in area where the radar dishes were that spy'ed on the hated Reds that had goats inside to keep the grass cropped. We had the bright idea of borrowing one of the goats and putting it in the base commanders , LT. COL., quarter's so when he came in that night he'd have a goat to screw.

So we climbed the 8' fence and chased the goats around until we corralled one and somehow tossed it over the 8' fence where a couple others guys were waiting to catch it, a marvelous feat considering they didn't want to put down their triple shot of Jack Danial's and beer's. So now we bunch of drunken Jagoffs are off to the Old Man's quarters in his dorm to meet our destiny's and to become Legends with goat in hand figuring the Old Man had been without pussy long enough. This was a 12 mos remote with no wives or dependents, a shit hole on top of a mountain.

So right when were opening the Old Man's room door with the goat the Major comes stumbling in....drunk.....and screams, "WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING"? We tell him of our noble intentions but he scream's if we dont go throw that goat back where we found it he was going to court martial us all. So....sadly....Legendary status was missed by a few seconds but I did get to keep my 3 stripes as we had to run the goat back to the site and toss it over the fence again. We went back to the bar where a big fight was ensuing over who's turn it was for the belly dancers.

And that was the 1970's. A decade I feel sorry for for anyone who missed it, in military service especially. The Col. found out about the goat caper eventually and gave me the greasy eyeball for the rest of my time there, which was only a few weeks, figuring I was the instigator "which I was" since I was only there TDY. But I think we were covered due to the big fist fight over banging the belly dancers and he didn't want anything to leak out cause 1/2 the Squadron deserved Article 15's including him.

But there were no more belly dancer parties allowed and the goats were strictly off limits. Boy today's military is like a Girl Scout cookie drive compared to the shit we pulled back then. The day's of "boyz will be boyz" are gone forever.
                        "Deplorableis Extroidinaris"
                        "CPD39 your a real pisser".

Comment

Originally posted by Lcpl Hicks View Post
                          Now that is hysterical !! I love that rivalry .

Comment

Originally posted by CPD39 View Post
                            Reminds me of my goat story. I was TDY at a INTEL listening post up near the Black Sea, I wont say where, a real shithole.

For amusement the Old man let us have a bunch of belly dancer's come in for entertainment. The place was a shithole but had a grand tavern, being back in the '70s even the 18yo's could drink until they dropped. So we consumed copious amounts of whiskey, vodka, beer....ect as the belly dancers did their thing, "actually we were drunk even before they showed up". So after the show a lot of us wanted to fuck the dancers but there was a long line as troops haggled over going rates for suckee/fuckee or one or the other. Business is business.

Well we didn't want to wait in line so a bunch of us ordered new drinks and went to the fenced in area where the radar dishes were that spy'ed on the hated Reds that had goats inside to keep the grass cropped. We had the bright idea of borrowing one of the goats and putting it in the base commanders , LT. COL., quarter's so when he came in that night he'd have a goat to screw.

So we climbed the 8' fence and chased the goats around until we corralled one and somehow tossed it over the 8' fence where a couple others guys were waiting to catch it, a marvelous feat considering they didn't want to put down their triple shot of Jack Danial's and beer's. So now we bunch of drunken Jagoffs are off to the Old Man's quarters in his dorm to meet our destiny's and to become Legends with goat in hand figuring the Old Man had been without pussy long enough. This was a 12 mos remote with no wives or dependents, a shit hole on top of a mountain.

So right when were opening the Old Man's room door with the goat the Major comes stumbling in....drunk.....and screams, "WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING"? We tell him of our noble intentions but he scream's if we dont go throw that goat back where we found it he was going to court martial us all. So....sadly....Legendary status was missed by a few seconds but I did get to keep my 3 stripes as we had to run the goat back to the site and toss it over the fence again. We went back to the bar where a big fight was ensuing over who's turn it was for the belly dancers.

And that was the 1970's. A decade I feel sorry for for anyone who missed it, in military service especially. The Col. found out about the goat caper eventually and gave me the greasy eyeball for the rest of my time there, which was only a few weeks, figuring I was the instigator "which I was" since I was only there TDY. But I think we were covered due to the big fist fight over banging the belly dancers and he didn't want anything to leak out cause 1/2 the Squadron deserved Article 15's including him.

But there were no more belly dancer parties allowed and the goats were strictly off limits. Boy today's military is like a Girl Scout cookie drive compared to the shit we pulled back then. The day's of "boyz will be boyz" are gone forever.
                            I was in late 80s. Chased lots of tail and had the good fortune to even catch a few!

Comment

Working...
                            X