Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left field location question for CapeCod

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Left field location question for CapeCod

    CapeCodOTJ


    Sir,

    Based on your experience, is there someplace similar to the Cape, or Nantucket, or the Vineyard (and I know the Hamptons and east end well) that is in a conservative state?

    I grew up on the beaches on Massachusetts, and even New Hampshire, Connecticut, plus of course the Jersey shore. Spent plenty of time, on duty and off on Long Island's (especially south) shores.

    Loved them, one and all.

    But to retire in any of those states... not a first choice.

    So, in your time there, and maybe especially as a Chief of Police, did you find any other communities that you felt were similar, but in more "friendly" states?

    Thanks!

  • #2
    I'm not Cape, but we did achieve the same rank and did serve in the same unit at different times.

    If you are looking for northeast scenery, but with a conservative population, I think you might me out of luck. There may be pockets of "red" in blue States, but you are still at the whim of the ruling party. I'd look toward the south....Maybe the Outer Banks or one of the seaside communities south of Myrtle Beach. I would also suggest Florida, Marco Island area or possibly the upper Keys. The Texas coastline may be a consideration, but the heat and humidity can be oppressive.

    For the record, I picked Arizona....no beaches or leafy green trees, but 2A friendly and pretty "red" where I am, but there are pockets of blue thanks to those fleeing Kalifornia.

    Comment


    • #3
      Charleston, maybe Savannah. Haven’t been to the later. Charleston has the old colonial feel to which I think is hard to replicate outside of the NE. Plus there isn’t snow.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 40nout View Post
        I'm not Cape, but we did achieve the same rank and did serve in the same unit at different times.

        If you are looking for northeast scenery, but with a conservative population, I think you might me out of luck. There may be pockets of "red" in blue States, but you are still at the whim of the ruling party. I'd look toward the south....Maybe the Outer Banks or one of the seaside communities south of Myrtle Beach. I would also suggest Florida, Marco Island area or possibly the upper Keys. The Texas coastline may be a consideration, but the heat and humidity can be oppressive.

        For the record, I picked Arizona....no beaches or leafy green trees, but 2A friendly and pretty "red" where I am, but there are pockets of blue thanks to those fleeing Kalifornia.



        Thanks 40.

        ​​​​​​I think you read me 5X5.

        We don't mind the winters much. Love the change of seasons. Love salt water. I love to fish. Love to swim. Love shellfish.

        I think you're probably right.

        ​​​​​​​"Out of luck" may be the factual answer. Just thought I'd throw the question out there.

        Shame.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cinderdick View Post
          CapeCodOTJ


          Sir,

          Based on your experience, is there someplace similar to the Cape, or Nantucket, or the Vineyard (and I know the Hamptons and east end well) that is in a conservative state?

          I grew up on the beaches on Massachusetts, and even New Hampshire, Connecticut, plus of course the Jersey shore. Spent plenty of time, on duty and off on Long Island's (especially south) shores.

          Loved them, one and all.

          But to retire in any of those states... not a first choice.

          So, in your time there, and maybe especially as a Chief of Police, did you find any other communities that you felt were similar, but in more "friendly" states?

          Thanks!
          Tough question. I have found that, at least in my part of Cape Cod (outer Cape) the politics are very liberal. Not the locals just the influx of "washashores" that altered the demographics of the region.

          I am fortunate to have a home just south of Tucson, an area which lots more folks whose political philosophy I'm comfortable with. Basically, when on the Cape I just keep my mouth shut.

          Just one example; took a walk around our AZ neighborhood yesterday with the wife. Stopped to talk to a local guy walking his dog. He wanted advice on buying a Ruger .357 magnum. You don't get into that kind of conversation when I'm on the Cape!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CapeCodOTJ View Post

            Tough question. I have found that, at least in my part of Cape Cod (outer Cape) the politics are very liberal. Not the locals just the influx of "washashores" that altered the demographics of the region.

            I am fortunate to have a home just south of Tucson, an area which lots more folks whose political philosophy I'm comfortable with. Basically, when on the Cape I just keep my mouth shut.

            Just one example; took a walk around our AZ neighborhood yesterday with the wife. Stopped to talk to a local guy walking his dog. He wanted advice on buying a Ruger .357 magnum. You don't get into that kind of conversation when I'm on the Cape!!

            That's the consensus.

            But the beaches, the breezes, the sea grass, the water, the lobsters, the Stripers...

            Such a shame.

            Comment


            • #7
              From a non-LEO, think that people who live in the NC resort areas all year round after the tourists leave are pretty conservative folks like in little towns in the Outer Banks NC and along the Crystal Coast area like Morehead City near Jacksonville NC where lots of retired Marine Corps people are.

              Comment


              • #8
                got American flags on every light pole

                and republicans running things....

                for this term...

                here in paradise...

                on Lawn Guyland!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by clownnose View Post
                  got American flags on every light pole

                  and republicans running things....

                  for this term...

                  here in paradise...

                  on Lawn Guyland!!


                  Lived there for almost twenty years.

                  My block? Solid.

                  The Island?

                  Not so much.

                  Plenty of email exchanges between me and Pete King at the time...

                  Not so much.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    met him a few times...

                    always was told my name with a whisper...

                    nice guy though...

                    the third time...

                    bought the beers...

                    politicians are so funny...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [QUOTE=cinderdick;n71376]


                      But the beaches, the breezes, the sea grass, the water, the lobsters, the Stripers...

                      You forgot the bikini's.







                      Comment


                      • #12
                        [QUOTE=BklynQns;n71411]
                        Originally posted by cinderdick View Post


                        But the beaches, the breezes, the sea grass, the water, the lobsters, the Stripers...

                        You forgot the bikini's.






                        Funny you say that.

                        What actually sparked the question in my mind was that Jaws came on the TV. The first girl there stripped it all off to go for her (last) moonlight swim! Watching her bounce down the beach was always a treat as a kid before the internet!

                        Aside from the, being killed and eaten by a monster Great White, I thought, wow, I haven't remembered just how nice New England beach towns are in a long time. 😅

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Cinder you may want to try Florida. Even the wicked witch Pelosi is going to eventually retire in a Red state. She just bought a 25 million dollar mansion in Jupiter, FL.

                          https://theconservativetreehouse.com...te-of-florida/


                          "Medicine is based on your own individual history and ultimately on your choice." Dr. Rand Paul

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DBLCD View Post
                            Cinder you may want to try Florida. Even the wicked witch Pelosi is going to eventually retire in a Red state. She just bought a 25 million dollar mansion in Jupiter, FL.

                            https://theconservativetreehouse.com...te-of-florida/

                            So, rule out Jupiter then I guess. 😆

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Medicine is based on your own individual history and ultimately on your choice." Dr. Rand Paul

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X