Merging NYPD and NYDOC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HAPD View Post
    CO's are like Sanmen, are paid at 90% of what Cops & FF'ers are. So, a merge means the city would have to up the starting salary. A better option would be to let Sanitation take over. They deal with garbage so what's a little more?
    Yup HAPD was once upon a time mostly Black and Hispanic. Then post tri-agency exams it became mostly White. Highest scorers went to Housing, numbers 2 & 3 went to Transit and 4-10 to PD on the banding system of hiring.
    They don’t make as much as cops base, but their overtime more than makes up for the shortfall. I had friends that were city COs before they got on the job. The OT became too much. If there’s a lockdown, that’s it. You’re staying for the duration.

Comment

Working Jails suck. I feel for those guys, I wouldn't even work our lock ups and a lot of our guys liked doing it. The thing about it is your always dealing with Jagoffs because only Jagoffs get arrested, most time and time again thru their lives and they are a pain in the ass when confined.

So I found the street Liberating. I could hunt bad guys when I wanted to and I could hide when I wanted to. And I could ride around drinking coffee and ogling hot bitches when I wanted to "which was pretty much all the time". When we arrested Jagoffs we could do the paper and dump them off on the lock up guys.

Dont get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for the guys working lock ups. I just never wanted to do it. I had an interview for a Fed job doing it after I retired and i called the guy and canceled the interview. I told him I'd reached my toxic level for Jagoffs after 30+ years.
      "Deplorableis Extroidinaris"
      A Legend.
      "When a single action or reaction is so outrageous that within 24 hours its the subject of every roll call in the city".

Comment

corona wasn’t good enough. This is an Excuse to empty out more of the jails
        Act like prey and you will surely be hunted.

Comment

Know what's ironic about corrections? Many inmates have had nothing all their lives. They've been screwed over often. If you just treat some of them decently, they can become very loyal. Not only some would alert me the supervisor was coming onto the floor (so I would get off the pool table), I've had some want to jump in and pummel somebody for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 40nout View Post
            Why is the NYPD used as a solution to every problem the City has?
            Homeless?.....send the Cops
            Drug overdose?......send the Cops
            Unruly kids in school? ......send the Cops
            No mask?.....send the Cops
            No C.O.'s?.......send the Cops

It seems like we do everything except Police work.
            I have considered this point as well. The answer is that the job description of a police officer in NYC is insanely broad. We can do any job from pushing a broom in the station house to flying helicopters to diving to beekeeping. Therefore stick us with the jobs no one else wants.

Comment

509thSFS so very true. When I was on PD I would always treat anyone I had to collar with respect. I would always tell them that I know it sucks to be in their position but that until they are out of my custody I would treat them with respect IF they gave me the same respect in return and 99.9% of the time they did. I would talk to them about life, sports, whatever. Anything to get their mind off the situation they were in. I would also get them something to eat and drink and most times not just a buttered roll and coffee. Many times they would thank me for treating them like human beings knowing that they really didn't deserve it. Having this rapport made my time OTJ a lot easier during my 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by 6three4ever View Post
                509thSFS so very true. When I was on PD I would always treat anyone I had to collar with respect. I would always tell them that I know it sucks to be in their position but that until they are out of my custody I would treat them with respect IF they gave me the same respect in return and 99.9% of the time they did. I would talk to them about life, sports, whatever. Anything to get their mind off the situation they were in. I would also get them something to eat and drink and most times not just a buttered roll and coffee. Many times they would thank me for treating them like human beings knowing that they really didn't deserve it. Having this rapport made my time OTJ a lot easier during my 20 years.
                Agreed

Comment

I work with some retired NYDOC guys. Yesterday a few of them discussed the incentives the city is throwing their way in order to entice them to return. They all laughed at that proposition. One guy was like they would have to double his base salary at the least. They told me how bad it was when they left there a little while back. After hearing those stories I can't imagine any takers. It was worse than what I read in the rags.

Comment

In 1977 there was a big snow storm which closed the LIE. There wasn't even subway or LIRR service for me to get home. I worked 16 hr tours, ate, and slept in the jail for 5 days. There also were showers to use.

Comment

Working...
                    X