Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lex Ordo
    replied
    Even if they have multiple planes in special storage for potential future use, wouldn’t there be a need to keep pilots proficient in their use?
    And for most of us, even if I was standing next to that plane, I couldn’t tell you exactly what it was or when it was last in service. I could probably tell you that it was an incredibly awesome machine

Leave a comment:

• CPD39
    replied
    We always had a few 117's still flying in Nevada as test aircraft. I was unaware they were around Syria and dont see why they would be needed. They are no more stealthy then F35's and the F35's have far better ECM and avionics, are far easier to maintain, are much faster and maneuverable, and can shoot back. The two airplanes are just not in the same ballpark.

Its possible the ones over Syria were configured as drone attackers with nobody in the drivers seat. The technology was certainly available in 2017, if in fact any of this happened at all. 2017 was right about the time the F35A was first operational so maybe.

Leave a comment:

• Dustoff262
    replied
    Big boys with big toys.

Leave a comment:

• Supposedly Retired, F-117 Nighthawk Stealth Jets Spotted Over Los Angeles

Zero Hedge-Supposedly Retired, F-117 Nighthawk Stealth Jets Spotted Over Los Angeles

BY TYLER DURDEN
    MONDAY, FEB 22, 2021 - 23:40
    Defense Blog reports a pair of Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk stealth attack aircraft were spotted above Los Angeles last Friday. The F-117s are supposedly retired but were spotted flying with a Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker.

AP Freelance photographer Matt Hartman tweeted a picture of the stealth aircraft on Sunday. He said:
    "So one day at ⁦ @flyLAXairport ⁩ I get a tip about something special… I look up ……. USAF KC-135R in-flight w/ 2 F-117 Stealth Fighter’s! Well I guess their NOT retired after all?? 02-19-21 2."

Two F-117 Nighthawks

After 25 years in service, the Air Force retired the F-117 fleet in April 2008, but in September 2017, the service received special permission to keep 51 in Type 1000 storage, meaning the planes could swiftly return to active service.

In October, we reported two F-117s were spotted at the Miramar Naval Base in San Diego.

It appears the Pentagon is bringing some of these legacy stealth aircraft back to active duty.

Four decommissioned F-117s were secretly deployed to the Middle East in 2017 to launch surgical strikes. The reason for the deployment was simple; Russia and Syria had shut down Syrian airspace by mid-2016. The U.S.-led coalition was unwilling to lose a fifth-generation aircraft to Russia's S-400 missile systems in Syria.

With a great power competition unfolding between the US and China - may be the Pentagon is prepping these planes for future Pacific warfare.
Working...
X