Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to Sarasota Florida

You gotta love Florida.

Against the urging of medical experts, city of Sarasota eliminates mask mandate

Timothy Fanning
    Sarasota Herald-Tribune

0:00
    0:43
    AD
    SARASOTA – Going against the urging of four medical doctors and other local health experts, the majority of Sarasota city commissioners have agreed to eliminate the city’s mandatory mask ordinance.

The mandate for face coverings in public, put in place last July, was largely rendered symbolic in September after Gov. Ron DeSantis cut local governments’ ability to enforce it.

Those in the majority on the City Commission felt that masks were too “burdensome” for residents and businesses, and because the city could not punish those who did not comply, what was the point in keeping the mandate in place? Besides, people are just going to do what they want, they contended.

“This was one of those ordinances that was done as a public spectacle,” said Vice Mayor Erik Arroyo. “People don’t really respect us as a commission for us trying to regulate every single little thing. It might make us feel good about passing it, but it just doesn’t work, and I think we need to stop this now.”

Because the mandatory mask ordinance was an emergency order, the commission needed four affirmative votes. Arroyo, Mayor Hagen Brody and Commissioner Kyle Battie all voted against extending the ordinance for 60 days. Commissioners Liz Alpert and Jen Ahearn-Koch voted for the extension. The mandatory order will expire Feb. 25.

Similar to Sarasota County, the city will draft a resolution that would encourage residents to wear face coverings. That decision passed 5-0.

Ahearn-Koch attempted to extend the ordinance beyond its approaching expiration date. She read letters from medical doctors and other health experts who expressed concerns over lax mask wearing practices, the growing number of infections by a far more contagious and lethal COVID-19 variant, and the crucial role face coverings play in helping to prevent further illnesses.

By the way:DeSantis defends vaccine clinic accused of favoritism, threatens to send vaccines elsewhere after complaints

And:Manatee commissioner Vanessa Baugh created vaccine priority list that included herself and donor

One of those letters was on behalf of the Sarasota Memorial Health Care System and signed by hospital President and CEO David Verinder, James Fiorica and Manuel Gordillo. Fiorica is the chief medical officer for the hospital and Gordillo heads SMH’s infectious disease department.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...erm=news_alert
    “De Oppresso Liber”

There is no need to wear a mask. If someone wants to wear one fine, but there is no study that shows masks stop viruses.

Comment

Required Mask Mandates = Lefttard Snowflake DemocRAT Bullshit to control the masses & spread fear.
      Liberalism is a serious mental disorder

Comment

I was in Sarasota a while back to see relatives.

Nice town but it was definitely geared toward old people.

I noticed the interval between red lights for the cars, at the intersection, was greatly increased.

It's to allow the slow-moving octogenarians using walkers, time to cross the street.
        Remember Cardillo

Comment

I have family that live in Naples, not too much mask wearing there either.
          “De Oppresso Liber”

Comment

If you want to wear a mask knock yourself out. A mandate to wear them, no way, almost a year later and now Dr. death Fauci wants him for another year. This is all about control and money.

Comment

Florida is rocking and the home values prove it! People are buying homes sight unseen, foregoing inspections, etc. Great time to be a real estate agent there! 😊

I'm not your friend, I'm the Police and we're going to get to the bottom of this. When I leave here, I'm gonna have somebody's ass in my briefcase and maybe it's gonna be yours! - Lt. Joe Kenda - Homicide Hunter

Comment

Wasn’t Peter Abbot the police chief there? He was a contemporary of Tony Gergeous

Comment

Abbot was Police Chief of Sarasota and it did not end well. Him & SA Toni were 2 peas in a pod during their ceremonial days. What’s Toni been doing since his forced retirement.......funeral director?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkOCCB View Post
                    Abbot was Police Chief of Sarasota and it did not end well. Him & SA Toni were 2 peas in a pod during their ceremonial days. What’s Toni been doing since his forced retirement.......funeral director?
                    Great memory. Tony G’s bread was always buttered with the Funeral business. His ceremonial gig was always a part time gig. Guy is loaded big time. Idk Abbot’s gig did not end well. He does have the nice NyPD pension to rely on.

Comment

Originally posted by DBLCD View Post
                      If you want to wear a mask knock yourself out. A mandate to wear them, no way, almost a year later and now Dr. death Fauci wants him for another year. This is all about control and money.
                      Actually, when you go to the far reaches of small-town NJ, people walking the streets make one think it's "deja vue all over again," to pre-pandemic days. Intelligent, knowledgeable people (those who passed 9th Grade Biology) realize what Fauci's Falacies really are (but don't repeat that, or the Leftist-controlled Gov. Murphy will have the NJSP making collars of anyone who blasphemes his executive orders!).

I give much praise to the leadership of Gov. DeSantis on this, and other matters, facing the people of Florida.

Comment

Lots of comments about Fauci's stupidity here, as well as his chronic contradiction problem.

And it brings out a good point: once the "mask" lie is shown the door, Fauci, himself, returns to obscurity and "yesterday's news"...no more media fawning, and no more "free steak dinners....":

https://summit.news/2021/02/22/fauci...-by-normality/
                        Last edited by Prosay; 02-22-2021, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X