Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYPD LICENSE DIVISION- NYS CCIA LICENSE RENEWAL PISTOL SAFETY COURSE & RETIRED LEOs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The following from the FOP website.

Revised 11/3/10
    H.R. 218, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act”
    and S. 1132, the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act Improvements Act”

On 22 July 2004, President George W. Bush signed H.R. 218, the “Law Enforcement Officers’
    Safety Act,” into law. The Act, now Public Law 108-277, went into effect immediately.
    The bill exempts qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from local and State
    prohibitions on the carrying of concealed firearms.

On 12 October 2010, President Barack H. Obama II signed S. 1132, the “Law Enforcement
    Officers’ Safety Act,” into law. The Act, now Public Law 110-272, went into effect immediately.
    The bill to improve the ability of retired officers to comply with the documents required by
    existing Federal law when carrying a firearm under 18 USC 926C and makes other modifications
    to existing law.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about H.R. 218/S. 1132:
    Who is eligible to carry concealed firearms under this legislation?
    Qualified law enforcement officers employed by or retired from a local, State or Federal law
    enforcement agency.
    A “qualified active law enforcement officer” is defined as an employee of a government agency
    who:
     is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation,
    prosecution or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law;
     has statutory powers of arrest;
     is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;
     is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency which could result in
    suspension or loss of police powers;
     meets the standards, if any, established by the agency which require the employee to
    regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;
     is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance, and
     is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing a firearm.
    The recent amendment to the law expands the definition of “qualified active law enforcement
    officer” to law enforcement officers employed by the Amtrak Police Department and the Federal
    Reserve Police Department, even though these are not employees of a governmental agency.
    In addition, any “law enforcement or police officer of the executive branch of the Federal
    Government” is also included in the expanded definition, meaning that civilian law enforcement
    officers employed by the U.S. Department of Defense are able to carry under 18 USC 926B even
    if their prior status was in question over the issue of “statutory” arrest authority.
    Qualified active law enforcement officers must carry the photographic identification issued by
    the agency for which they are employed.
    If you are an active duty law enforcement officer with any local, State or Federal governmental
    agency and you meet all of the requirements above, you may carry a concealed firearm under the
    provisions set out in the law.

A “qualified retired law enforcement officer” is defined as an individual who:
     has separated from service in good standing with a government agency as a law
    enforcement officer for an aggregate of ten (10) years or more or separated from such an
    agency due to a service-connected disability after completing any applicable probationary
    period of such service;
     was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation,
    prosecution or the incarceration of any person for any violation of law;
     had statutory powers of arrest;
     is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or
    substance; and
     is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing a firearm.
    The recent amendment to the law expands the definition of “qualified retired law enforcement
    officer” to law enforcement officers employed by the Amtrak Police Department and the Federal
    Reserve Police Department, even though these are not employees of a governmental agency.
    In addition, any “law enforcement or police officer of the executive branch of the Federal
    Government” is also included in the expanded definition, meaning that civilian law enforcement
    officers separated from service by the U.S. Department of Defense are able to carry under 18
    USC 926B even if their prior status was in question over the issue of “statutory” arrest authority.
    Qualified retired law enforcement officers must carry the photographic identification issued by
    the agency for which they were employed and have now separated.
    An officer separating from service with his agency who has been officially found by a qualified
    medical professional employed by the agency to be unqualified for continued service for reasons
    related to mental health and, for that reason are not issued the photographic identification
    Revised 11/3/10 3
    described above and in the statute, are not qualified retired law enforcement officers as described
    in 18 USC 926C. Similarly, an officer who has entered into an agreement with the agency from
    which he is separating which acknowledges that the officer is not qualified under 18 USC 926C
    for reasons related to mental health and for these reasons will not receive or accept the
    photographic identification described above are not qualified retired law enforcement officers as
    described in 18 USC 926C.
    In addition to carrying the photographic identification issued by the agency for which they were
    employed or were separated, the qualified retired law enforcement officer must also carry
    documentation which certifies that they have met, within the most recent twelve month period,
    the active duty law enforcement standards for qualification for a firearm of the same type as the
    one they intend to carry.
    The standard the qualified retired law enforcement officer must meet is that of his former
    agency, that of the State in which he resides, or in the absence of State standards—or the
    recognition thereof—the standards of any law enforcement agency in the State in which the
    qualified retired law enforcement officer and the certified firearms instructor resides.
    This document which certifies that the qualified retired law enforcement officer has met the
    standards described above must be issued by the retired officer’s former agency, by the State in
    which he lives, or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms
    qualification test for active duty officers within that State.
    Do I need a concealed carry permit from my State or any other documentation to
    carry lawfully?
    No. Qualified active and retired law enforcement officers do not need any additional concealed
    carry permits or licenses. Federal law exempts them from local and State prohibitions on the
    carriage of concealed firearms.
    A qualified law enforcement officer needs to carry his photographic identification issued to him
    by his agency.
    A retired law enforcement officer needs to carry his photographic identification issued to him by
    the agency from which he has separated and a document that certifies that he has met, within the
    most recent twelve month period, the active duty law enforcement standards for qualification for
    a firearm of the same type as the one they intend to carry. See above for more information on the
    standards a qualified retired officer must meet and what entities can issue this certification
    document.
    Can I carry any type of firearm or ammunition under this law?
    No. The exemption provided under this Federal law applies to the carriage of concealed firearms
    only. The definition of “firearm” in this statute specifically excludes machine guns, silencers,
    explosives or other destructive devices as these terms are defined in Federal law.
    However, recent amendments to the Federal law do extend the exemption to allow the carriage
    Revised 11/3/10 4
    of ammunition “not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the
    National Firearms Act.” This means that qualified active and retired law enforcement officers
    may carry ammunition in States which may have prohibited the possession of certain
    ammunition by persons not actively serving in law enforcement within that State.
    Is the exemption provided by the law total—can I now carry anywhere at any
    time?
    No. The new law exempts all qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from State
    and local laws with respect to the carrying of concealed firearms. These officers are not exempt
    from Federal law or regulation, which governs the carriage of firearms onto aircraft or other
    “common carriers,” Federal buildings, Federal property, or national parks.
    In addition, State (not local) laws which prohibit the carriage of firearms onto State or local
    government property and State (not local) laws which allow private entities to prohibit firearms
    on their private property would still apply to qualified active and retired law enforcement
    officers.
    The law says I am exempt from the laws of “any State or any political subdivision thereof.” Does this mean the law is not effective in Washington,
    D.C., Puerto Rico, or other U.S. territories? No. The law applies in these places as well. The term “State” is defined in Chapter 44 of Title
    18, which is the portion of the U.S. Code that the Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act amends,
    and the one that applies when interpreting this Act.
    Section 921, Chapter 44 of Title 18 reads: “The term ‘State’ includes the District of Columbia,
    the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, and the possessions of the United States (not including the Canal Zone).”

My agency has a policy that does not allow me to carry my firearm while I am off-duty. Does this mean that this legislation will not benefit me?
    If you are a qualified active law enforcement officer, you are legally able to carry a firearm
    under 18 USC 926B. There may be agencies which enforce or adopt policies, rules, regulations,
    or employment conditions which discourage or punish officers which choose to carry while offduty, but such actions do not mean that the officer cannot carry lawfully under the provisions of
    this statute.
    Your agency, however, can prohibit you from carrying your agency-issued weapon, which is the
    property of the governmental entity.
    I work for a civilian law enforcement agency with the U.S. Department of
    Defense. My superiors, which include active military personnel, have told me
    that I do not meet the definitions of 18 USC 926B because I do not have statutory arrest authority, despite the fact that my agency can and does make arrests. Am I eligible to carry or not?
    Yes, you are. The FOP has maintained that any law enforcement officer classified by the Office
    of Personnel Management (OPM) as GS-0083, the “Police Series,” meets the definition of
    qualified active or retired law enforcement officer. The OPM publication, Grade Evaluation
    Guide for Police and Security Guard Positions in Series GS-0083/0085, states the following:
    This series includes positions the primary duties of which are the performance or
    supervision of law enforcement work in the preservation of the peace; the prevention,
    detection, and investigation of crimes; the arrest or apprehension of violators; and the
    provision of assistance to citizens in emergency situations, including the protection of
    civil rights. The purpose of police work is to assure compliance with Federal, State,
    county, and municipal laws and ordinances, and agency rules and regulations pertaining
    to law enforcement work.
    In further describing the nature of “police work,” the aforementioned publication states the
    following:
    The primary mission of police officers in the Federal service is to maintain law and
    order. In carrying out this mission, police officers protect life, property, and the civil
    rights of individuals. They prevent, detect, and investigate violations of laws, rules, and
    regulations involving accidents, crimes, and misconduct involving misdemeanors and
    felonies. They arrest violators, assist in the prosecution of criminals, and serve as a
    source of assistance to persons in emergency situations.
    Police services are provided in Federal residential areas, parks, reservations, roads and
    highways, commercial and industrial areas, military installations, Federally owned and
    leased office buildings, and similar facilities under Federal control. Within their
    jurisdictions, police officers enforce a wide variety of Federal, State, county, and
    municipal laws and ordinances, and agency rules and regulations relating to law
    enforcement. They must be cognizant of the rights of suspects, the laws of search and
    seizure, constraints on the use of force (including deadly force), and the civil rights of
    individuals.
    Police officers are commissioned, deputized, appointed, or otherwise designated as
    agency and/or local law enforcement officers by statute, delegation, or deputization by
    local governments, or other official act. Arrest and apprehension authority includes the
    power to formally detain and incarcerate individuals pending the completion of formal
    charges (booking); requesting and serving warrants for search, seizure, and arrest;
    testifying at hearings to establish and collect collateral (bond); and/or participating in
    trials to determine innocence or guilt.
    Police officers carry firearms or other weapons authorized for their specific
    jurisdictions. They wear uniforms and badges, use military style ranks (private, sergeant,
    lieutenant, etc.), and are commonly required to refamiliarize themselves with authorized
    weapons periodically and demonstrate skill in their use.

The FOP is aware that certain Federal law enforcement agencies employed by Departments within the
    U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) have informed the GS-0083 Federal law enforcement officers which
    work for these agencies that they do not meet the definition of “qualified active law enforcement
    officer” and “qualified retired law enforcement officer” because they do not have statutory powers of
    arrest. The FOP maintains that these officers do have this authority. Regardless of this disagreement, it
    is certain that these officers can and do take suspected offenders into custody, book them, investigate the
    suspected offenses, and participate in court proceedings seeking to convict those whom they took into
    custody for the suspected offense. It is also certain that it was the intent of Congress in passing the Law
    Enforcement Officers’ Act of 2003 that Federal law enforcement officers designated as GS-0083
    employees (or any subsequent successor to that series) meet the definition of qualified active or retired
    law enforcement officer in 18 USC 926B and 18 USC 926C.
    To this end, the original statute was recently amended (by S. 1132) to clarify that any Federal law
    enforcement officer classified as a GS-0083 (or any successor to that series) who is employed by the
    Executive Branch also be deemed to meet the definitions in 18 USC 926B and 18 USC 926C. On this
    point, the law reads:
    …a law enforcement or police officer of the executive branch of the Federal Government
    qualifies as an employee of a governmental agency who is authorized by law to engage in or
    supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any
    person for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest.
    This makes the question of whether or not a Federal law enforcement officer employed by the U.S.
    Department of Defense has statutory arrest powers moot for the purposes of LEOSA, as such officers
    are now by definition qualified active or retired law enforcement officers.
    This language was adopted by Congress specifically to address this issue, and their intent on this
    point is made very clear in Section III of the Judiciary Committee’s report, 111-233 on S. 1132:
    Section 2(a)(2) makes explicit that active law enforcement officers employed by the Amtrak
    Police Department, the Federal Reserve, or who serve as law enforcement officers ‘of the
    executive branch of the Federal Government' are eligible for the law's benefits.
    Finally, the President acknowledged this in his statement which accompanied the announcement that
    he had signed the bill into law:
    [S. 1132] ...specifies that current and former law enforcement and police officers of the
    executive branch of the Federal Government and current and former law enforcement
    officers of the Amtrak Police Department and the Federal Reserve may generally be
    exempted from State laws prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.
    I was injured in the line of duty and was separated from service or forced to retire as a
    result of the injury. As a result, I do not have ten (10) years aggregated experience as a
    law enforcement officer. Am I excluded from carrying under the provisions of this new
    law?
    No. Officers who are injured on the job and retired from active service as a result of that injury are included in the bill, as per Section 926C(b)(3)(B). These retired officers are eligible to carry under the law, provided that they have completed their probationary term of service.
    Note that these officers must still qualify with the weapon that they intend to carry every twelve months and are not exempt from the documentation requirements described above.
    I am a fully-sworn law enforcement officer with statutory law enforcement
    authority but I work for a railroad, a private university, or other non-governmental
    employer. I attended the same police academy, received the same training and meet
    the same qualifications as my law enforcement colleagues in my State. Am I able to
    carry under the statute as amended?
    Unless you are an employee of the Amtrak or Federal Reserve Police Departments, which are
    entities controlled by the Federal government, but are not technically government entities, you must
    be an employee of a local, State or Federal governmental agency to carry a firearm under the statute
    as amended.
    Does this bill allow me to carry a firearm on an aircraft, train or cruise ship?
    No. This legislation exempts qualified active and retired law enforcement officers from State and
    local laws regarding the carrying of concealed firearms. The carriage of firearms on aircraft and
    other “common carriers” is regulated by other Federal statutes and carrier policy.

Comment

Originally posted by NYPDtoFAM View Post
      LEOSA/HR218 is strictly a concealed CARRY permit good in every state for qualified individuals. It tells you WHAT, WHERE, WHEN and HOW you can legally CONCEAL CARRY. No state or local government can restrict what it says because it is federal law. There are several federal courts cases upholding the law against various states and entities.

If a state/local government has a requirement about BUYING guns or ammo, including requiring ID cards or permits, LEOSA has ZERO impact on that. That is not what LEOSA is about. One must follow state/local laws to acquire weapons and ammo, albeit some states have exceptions for retired officers, either by law or waiving such if you get state state/local card.

I am not sure how so many law enforcement officers cannot grasp this or just read the law (and case law) to understand it. It's literally that simple!
      No. It's really an affirmative defense against a CPW charge if you meet certain criteria.
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Comment

Originally posted by RetirementIsParole View Post

No. It's really an affirmative defense against a CPW charge if you meet certain criteria.
        It’s more than an affirmative defense eventhough the defense must prove they are LEOSA qualified in court if arrested .

A permit or other exemption to penal law 265 in NYS would be an affirmative defense too by that measure. I haven’t seen a court case where the prosecution has to prove to the court that the defendant was not a police officer , permit holder , or other exemption.
        In addition, People who were arrested despite LEOSA have sued and won money .

Comment

The 2nd circuit just overturned the TRO

Comment

Predictable
            “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing”

Comment

My NYC permit is due for update shortly. I should be getting the renewal paperwork any day. Any word on the classroom/range course requirements for Ret MOS with updated HR-218?

Comment

Originally posted by Santos View Post
                My NYC permit is due for update shortly. I should be getting the renewal paperwork any day. Any word on the classroom/range course requirements for Ret MOS with updated HR-218?
                From people I know that have recently renewed . . . . . If you have HR218 certification PRIOR to 09-01-2022, you're good to go, if not, you have to take the 18 hour course (3 days, 6 hours per day) PLUS 2 hours of live-fire exercises. Cost: Between $ 300 - $ 600 depending upon where you go. Moral: Get and MAINTAIN the HR218 card!! This of course is in addition to the usual nonsense they have you do to renew such as affidavits, notarizations, etc. and this repeats every 3 years! Just part of the plan to thwart renewals and have people give up rather than persevere. 🤨

Also, everything is done by e-mail, NO in-person renewals and no more "letter with a special code" sent to you before you can renew. You'll get an e-mail telling you to logon to the renewal address and proceed.

I would never raise my voice because it’s frightening to people. Instead, I would calmly state "my name is Kenda from the Police Department; you are under arrest for murder. If you don’t do what I say, I’m gonna kill you right here, right now!" - Lt. Joe Kenda - Homicide Hunter

Comment

So, it would probably be in everyone’s best interest to hold on to our old, expired HR218 cards moving forward…..
                  How’s that “Defund the Police” working out for you?😂

Comment

I believe it also depends on the jurisdiction that issues your permit
                    Mine needed to be renewed January, 2023. The process began in November 2022. I turned the initial letter around in one day…
                    (Renewed LEOSA in December)
                    I received my new license without a hitch. Same paperwork as prior years. No new questions. No new requirements. No classes. No questions about LEOSA status
                    Jurisdiction is Suffolk County PD.
                    (I’ve kept every LEOSA card since my first qualification. I never wanted a question or lawsuit about possible prior actions or presence in a “restricted” area to pop up)

Comment

I can't wait until the license division emails me telling me it's time to renew my NYC carry permit. I can't wait to tell them to stick it up their ass as I no longer live in that shithole city.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Frank View Post
                        So, it would probably be in everyone’s best interest to hold on to our old, expired HR218 cards moving forward…..
                        Yah, keep ‘em! 👍

I would never raise my voice because it’s frightening to people. Instead, I would calmly state "my name is Kenda from the Police Department; you are under arrest for murder. If you don’t do what I say, I’m gonna kill you right here, right now!" - Lt. Joe Kenda - Homicide Hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Kenda View Post

From people I know that have recently renewed . . . . . If you have HR218 certification PRIOR to 09-01-2022, you're good to go, if not, you have to take the 18 hour course (3 days, 6 hours per day) PLUS 2 hours of live-fire exercises. Cost: Between $ 300 - $ 600 depending upon where you go. Moral: Get and MAINTAIN the HR218 card!! This of course is in addition to the usual nonsense they have you do to renew such as affidavits, notarizations, etc. and this repeats every 3 years! Just part of the plan to thwart renewals and have people give up rather than persevere. 🤨
                          What happens if you decide not to put up with their BS? Do you end up with a premise permit or no permit at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Redstone14 View Post

What happens if you decide not to put up with their BS? Do you end up with a premise permit or no permit at all?
                            Your permit will remain expired and you’ll have to surrender your firearms until / if you get a license. No matter the type of license, the requirements are the same for all licensees.

Comment

Instead of the class, I'm wondering if someone ever came up with an alternative?

Private plane + hookers + Las Vegas, I wonder if this would work?

Asking for a friend who doesn't have a beard

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Kenda View Post
                                Your permit will remain expired and you’ll have to surrender your firearms until / if you get a license. No matter the type of license, the requirements are the same for all licensees.
                                OK, I was under the impression that the requirements were for a full carry only. Doesn't make sense to make people who only have a license for collecting handguns to go through a classroom and shooting course. But then again nothing these marxist democrats do makes sense.....thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X